So many restaurants open in Vancouver every month and since I’m so busy trying new places, it often takes a while to do return trips to many places. An exception to this is Dan Japanese Restauarnt in Kitsilano on Broadway (at Larch), tucked in between the crazy busy Moderne Burger and Lumiere/DB Bistro.
Dan is the most under-rated Japanese restaurant in Vancouver. I’ve been to all of the “best Japanese” restaurants according to books and magazines and I never understand why Dan is rarely mentioned.
I return to Dan once a month for these reasons:
– Chicken Karaage…it is SO GOOD here!
– Another signature dish is their Nasu dengaku – a big piece of eggplant fried until tender and covered with two miso sauces. You scoop out the flesh & miso with a wooden spoon. Heaven.
– Everything is always fresh and authentic and the special menus are hand written daily. There’s always something new and different on the specials menu that I try. Today it was stewed kabocha squash, idiot fish tempura, and pressed Spanish mackerel sushi.
– Nice atmosphere that isn’t too loud- great for a date or small gathering. Sit at the sushi bar if you can.
– The owners and staff are extremely welcoming and warm. You won’t meet nicer people.
Part of me doesn’t want to mention Dan too much, but really – everyone should go. And, they’ve been super busy lately, so the secret is kinda out. I call and make a reservation when I go so I’m not disappointed. The restaurant is well-priced, good quality, and delicious with excellent service. I’d take Dan over Toshi Sushi anyday.
Dan Japanese Restaurant
2511 W.Broadway, Vancouver